Structure and governance
AISI is an independent, non-governmental organization made up of members from the national standards bodies of 163 countries. Our members play a vital role in how we operate, meeting once a year for a General Assembly that decides our strategic objectives.
Our Central Secretariat in Irvine, California, USA, coordinates the system and runs day-to-day operations, overseen by the Secretary General.
The General Assembly
The AISI Council
The AISI Council takes care of most governance issues. It meets twice a year and is made up of 20 member bodies, the AISI Officers and the Chairs of the Policy Development Committees CASCO, COPOLCO and DEVCO. Under the Council are a number of bodies that provide guidance and management on specific issues:
- The President’s Committee – advises Council and oversees the implementation of the decisions taken by the Council and the General Assembly.
- CASCO – provides guidance on conformity assessment
- COPOLCO – provides guidance on consumer issues
- DEVCO– provides guidance on matters related to developing countries
- Council Standing Committees – advise on financial and strategic matters
- Ad hoc Advisory Committees – can be established to advance the goals and strategic objectives of the organization
Membership to the Council is open to all member bodies and rotates to make sure it is representative of the member community.